Saturday, April 29, 2017

JE TROUVE LE LOUVRE! (I FIND THE LOUVRE!)

                                         Photo Credit: VA Clark    Copyright 2015 @

AFTER A LIFETIME of longing to see the treasures of the Louvre, my first visit there was a huge disappointment.


It was our third actual day in Paris, Tuesday, May 8th. After an entire afternoon of sightseeing, my son and I walked up to the pyramid-decked plaza to discover it totally empty.  

  

                                     Photo Credit: VA Clark   Copyright 2015@

A sign with a rope across the entrance area read: "Closed for Holiday".


"What holiday?" I cried in exasperation! Neither he nor I had heard anything about a holiday. There had been a parade in the street while we were enroute to Versailles the day before...but nothing around us indicated a holiday, other than an empty expanse of concrete that got us no closer to the magnificence inside.


"Don't cry, Mom", my son said. He thought I was pouting. He spent so much time with his children that he could only surmise I was displaying child-like behavior. We had been apart for so many years, that as an adult he didn't really know me well.


Victor could not imagine the bitter disappointment that welled up in my heart and eyes after so many decades spent waiting for this moment. To see the glass pyramid alone, designed by Chinese architect I.M. Pei, was a thrill in itself.


Wanting to see the interiors below ground, which most world art experts say exceed even the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, was for me the focal point of the trip.


"Let's go do some people watching instead", he said, heading down the street toward the Rue du Rivoli.


"We could go to a café and have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine."


"Okay" I agreed reluctantly, allowing him to cheer me up.


So we went to a café, met two very nice fellow-Americans who were attending the Cordon Bleu cooking school. It was a thrilling evening for me, being able to ask unlimited questions about the school and what life was like as an American living in Paris. (More about that encounter in my book: I Fell For Paris.)


But the very next day we were back at the Louvre again. Only this time we went looking for the Carrousel entrance. We hoped we wouldn't have to wait in horrendously long lines.


A charming and handsome Frenchman had shown me the entrance, on my first day in Paris. It was such a kind gesture to an American on her arrival to the City of Beauty.



                                      Photo Credit: VA Clark   Copyright 2015 @


Victor and I made our way from the Place des Pyramides, taking a left, and followed the Rue de Rivoli until we finally found the mall entrance at 99 rue de Rivoli. It was much farther than I remembered when the welcoming gentleman had directed me to the doors that day. Perhaps I was enjoying his conversation so much, and struggling to speak entirely in French, that I was a little distracted. : )


We finally found the glass doors leading to the escalators that direct one to the shopping mall prelude before the prize!


Down a few escalators we descended. Then we walked along a sandstone colored corridor into a large open area, with the pyramid glass directly above us.



                                      Photo Credit: C. Clark  Copyright 2015 @


We waited about twenty minutes in line with our pre-paid museum passes in hand. We had heard that having them shortened one's wait.


Meanwhile, my eyes took in all the beautiful stores around me.



                                            Photo Credit: C. Clark     Copyright 2015@


There was House of Chocolates, Comedie Francaise, L'Occitane, Fragonard (perfumes,) Printemps and a host of others that I wished I had the time and money to browse in.


Finally we reached the front of the line to show our passes. My son likes art too. We were anxious to grab some Louvre maps and make our way through the museum.


"Mom. Let's just find the Mona Lisa. Then we can each head off on our own."


"That sounds fine," I responded. That way I could take my time looking at whatever I wanted for as long as I wanted.


The maps were incredibly hard to follow. Unless you have a Fine Arts degree how can you possibly know which century you want to look at? Aside from knowing that I wanted to view 16th and 17 French art, antiques and furniture, I wasn't sure what century the various artists lived in.


How could I possibly know what date Titian painted "Venus Rising From The Sea" or what date "Winged Victory" would inhabit? Even then, would I choose the date she was discovered or the era in which she was sculpted?


It took hours for us to locate the Mona Lisa. There was such a crowd in the small alcove surrounding her that we couldn't even get close.


Sad fact was, I couldn't find the cord to my digital Fuji pocket camera my son had so graciously gifted me with before we left home. So I only had so much battery power.


"Take two photos of everything, Mom. Then choose the better picture of the two."


"I can't. My battery is fading", I said.


So I had to choose carefully the works of art I wanted to capture on film.


Victor, a photographer par excellence, was going off on his own. I had to make every photo I took count. They had to be works  or artists I particularly longed to see in person, like Fragonard's, or Van Eyck's. 


So much art! So little time! So little camera juice!


I spent about five hours trying to find the section which housed the Fragonards. My favorite painter of all time had inspired the modus operandi of my entire life with "Portrait of a Young Girl Reading". I saw it at the age of ten in the Washington, D.C. National Museum of Art.




                                             Photo Credit: C. Clark  Copyright 2015@

Then, at the end of the day I found out Fragonard's section of the museum was closed off. It would be reopened after I had departed from my Dear Paris.


Meanwhile I wandered round and around, seeing other perfectly wonderful works of art. Sometimes I ended up in the exact same corridors. The map was impossibly confusing! Even my talented-at-map-reading son had a hard time with it.


But before I left that late afternoon my head was swirling with so much amazing beauty that had reached to my very soul.


Before he departed on his own adventures we discovered some amazing finds which you will just have to read about in my book, "I FELL FOR PARIS". 


In the book, I give you a step by step tour, with photos. You will experience along with me the joy, thirst, frustration and delight as you walk with me in the high-ceilinged halls of this ancient palace.


The second printing of the softcover book is going to take place in several weeks. First printing all sold out! After that the paperback edition can be purchased off of my websites:



         www.ifellforparis.com                                     www.coleenclarkauthor.com


I am still working on getting the manuscript formatted for Kindle e-books. As anyone who has ever formatted a book for Kindle knows - it isn't easy! So stay tuned for both the paperbacks and the Amazon Kindle e-book, which you can read on your tablet or phone.


You can place an advance order for the 8 1/2 X 11 paperback ahead of time. To defray color printing and shipping costs, I have to ask $27.99 plus shipping.  Pictures of Paris would never look as good in black and white. But as I print more the price will go down.


Be the first among your friends to own the moving coffee table photo book about a tale of family ties re-woven during a continental vacation of awesome discovery! A tout a l'heures!




        

             























 

No comments:

Post a Comment